Vitamin D supports immune function, the hardening, growth and remodelling of bones, and the absorption of magnesium. But an overdose can lead to an adverse reaction.

Stepping outside of your home can result in vitamin D formulating in your body.

Direct contact sunlight enables the skin to create this much needed vitamin.

It’s also available in the foods you eat, such as salmon, red meat and egg yolks.

The toxicity threshold is thought to be 200ng/mL and above, and hypercalcemia may result.

Hypercalcemia is an excess of calcium in the bloodstream, which can lead to complications.

One such complication is leaving a metallic taste in the mouth.

Another is an irregular heartbeat, as well as continuous headaches and loss of appetite.

DON’T MISS

Moreover, some people may experience muscle weakness, unexplained exhaustion, irritability and anxiety.

The NHS stated: “High calcium levels can lead to rapid kidney failure, loss of consciousness, coma, or serious life-threatening heart rhythm abnormalities.”

Long-term or excessive consumption of vitamin D supplements or foods can lead to toxicity.

Even when you stop popping vitamin D pills, it may take months for the effects of toxicity to fully wear off.

This is why it’s important to speak with your doctor before taking vitamin D supplements.

Some medical conditions can increase a person’s sensitivity to vitamin D.

These include cancer, Williams syndrome, sarcoidosis and primary hyperthyroidism.

Do note that vitamin D toxicity can cause a wide range of symptoms that will be unique to each individual.

Source: | Daily Express

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here